Thursday, March 5, 2009

Nothing is Real or a Lie...

One of most interesting new shows on TV is Lie To Me on Fox. It has a unique premise. The show is about a group of professionals that help various government agencies and individuals solve cases by analyzing whether people are telling the truth. I think the fifth show has aired now, and for some reason, it really intrigues me every week. The characters on the show observe things such as facial expressions, body language, verbal tone, and even the speed in which someone says something to find out if people are lying. I don't know why I am attracted to this show, but I find that after watching the first minute, I have to watch to the end.

I was watching the show last night and found a really strong worldview clip. Thanks to Hulu, I can share it with you all and see what you think.

(Here's a tip, if your bandwidth is as slow as mine, pause the clip for about 15 seconds to buffer before you watch it, so that it doesn't freeze on you.)

The prisoner character in the clip shares a very popular life philosophy. He says, "Nothing is real or a lie. It all depends on the color of the glass you're looking through." Relative morality is prevalent in today's society. I believe this is an example of that concept. Within the AXiS presentation, we put this concept within both the Naturalistic and Spiritualistic worldviews. Each of these belief systems, however, come to this conclusion for various reasons.

What do you all think of this clip? How often have you heard this statement? What would your response to this statement be if someone said this to you?

By: Jeremiah

2 comments:

  1. id just like to share that hulu is only available to the US, or rather, American ip's. so not everyone might able see it.

    the statement struck a coord with me, its why i googled it. ive never heard the phrase before,but know its sentiment.

    we all see things with our own perspective,we judge it, then we tag it/ try to define it based on what we believe. And not eveyone believes in the same things, so of course we will all have different views of the world.

    i love this show. lie to me. even though everyone is different and we like to think so, we all have more in common then we do differences, even if we dont believe we do. most have a smudge on the glass they see though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say this show in general when it started had me thinking in a whole new way, smart shows on TV are a welcomed change. But this episode in specific did strike home with that statement. And on the other end with the firefighters, its strange for most to see things from someone elses perspetive. I often find myself in trouble because others don't understand how I can pity someone instead of having anger for them, just by thinking about things from their end.

    ReplyDelete