Friday, October 9, 2009

Louisiana: A Culture All It's Own


Growing up in New Mexico, I have experienced a different culture. I only recently discovered this after fully introducing the Axis team to New Mexico during our first trip this semester. Below, I have listed a few of the experiences I was able to share.

New Mexico is the only state where you are always asked "red, green or christmas" at every restaurant (these are for Chile Pepper variations). My Christmas (the holiday) decorations include a yard of sand and 200 paper bags. I eat tortillas instead of bread. A lawn is not necessary when I can use crushed rock and a cactus. A dust devil can roll your trampoline down the street, yet leave the rest of the neighborhood unscathed. Spanglish is an actual language. Tumbleweed-men are made during the winter because there is no snow. The Roadrunner is our state bird and the Yucca is our state plant. Every potluck includes Enchiladas, Posole, and Biscochitos. Prevalent animal life includes Tarantulas, Scorpions, Centipedes, Black Widows, Child of the Earth Bugs, Rattlesnakes, and of course the occasional Jack Rabbit or Quail.

Upon leaving New Mexico, I thought I would not experience culture shock to the extent that the team had.... that was until I visited Louisiana.

Our first night in town, the AXiS team met up with Jon Jon, a Floridian and our newest AXiS staff member; we had an incredible down home meal cooked by none other than Miss Eloise, and we cheered on the 2A Houma Christian School varsity volleyball team as they shut-out a 5A team. Starting with that first evening, I began to experience this unique culture of the South:

Boudin - deep fried pork with rice in pork casings. While in Houston, I was asked if I had ever tried this southern favorite. Upon our first meal out in Louisiana, I ordered it (not too bad).

Jambalaya - a cajun dish made of rice, seafood, chicken, vegetables, etc. This turned out to a common dish, as we had it multiple times (my favorite!)

Gumbo - a creole stew, made with tomatoes, okra, and other vegetables and meats, including shrimp and chicken.

Bayou - a body of water usually a slow-moving river or stagnant channel. Many times, I found it difficult to differentiate between the bayous and the lawns of some homes.

The French Quarter - We couldn’t see New Orleans without taking a stroll through this Mississippi port.

Cafe du Monde - A very popular cafe in New Orleans that served up their very own brand of coffee and fried pastry. This cafe came complete with live jazz music.

Chicory - the coffee made at cafe du monde. It is made with the root of the endive plant. It is roasted and then ground to be added to the coffee. (really good).

Beignet - a fried pastry covered with a thick layer of powdered sugar (a perfect compliment to the chicory)

Nutria - “Rodents of unusual size? I don’t think they exist” - try again! One night, as we drove back to our host home, we saw what looked like an ROUS; and that is exactly what it was. It was an animal that looks similar to a beaver, but is actually a rat....a large water rat. (see the title picture to find out what a Nutria looks like).

I guess there is more culture in our country than I ever gave credit. With that said, if you want some unique American culture, go to New Mexico or Louisiana!

By: Meghan

1 comment: