Friday, October 2, 2009

Say Hi to Jon Jon!

Written 9/28/09

Hello from (humid) San Antonio!

My name’s Jon Jon Wesolowski. I’m a student taking a semester hiatus to travel and teach worldview as an Intern with Axis. In between trips, I will be doing various things around the office and helping out in anyway I can.  I’m From Tallahassee, Florida and I’m not used to seeing snow in the summer time or, for that matter, ever. I could have sworn that I was beginning to get frost bite when I went to check the mail. My roommate, however, assured me that freezing wasn’t possible at 34 degrees. I beg to differ.

Climate aside, I’m so grateful to be here and to be a part of Axis. I drove out here to Colorado Springs nearly two weeks ago and have had the opportunity to be apart of two presentations thus far. The time spent with students was emboldening; every conversation gave energy so that, no matter how much of my physical energy was drained, I was more excited about the next chance to pour into the lives of the students.  I left each conference exhausted, but already anticipating the next trip. I think I could do this forever.

On my drive out here, I came to a road block in a major city. The police redirected the traffic to the exit ramp. As I turned down my music and looked over, I could see a dead body laying in the street with a coat over his face. Immediately I began thinking about one of the biggest questions of life, and that is, "what happens when I die?" Axis inspires me because the program gets students to consider life's important questions. Most people do not consider their life, or their beliefs until it is too late, or tragedy has struck. What a privilege it is to be a part of something that enables students to consider their worldview while they have their life ahead of them.

With everything being how it is, I can tolerate the weather in exchange for the fulfillment I have in being a part of such a great organization. Who knows, I may end up enjoying the life of blizzards and storms, snow and ice. My mentor once told me, “There is no bad weather--only bad gear.”

By: Jon Jon

PS - If you are one of the students who has heard Jon Jon speak with Axis in the last few weeks, this is a great place to leave encouraging feedback for him or just give a shout out!

PSS - This PS was not written by Jon Jon:).

PSSS - To become an Axis Intern someday you must have been either a staff member for Summit Ministries www.summit.org or have attended the Focus Leadership Institute - www.focusleadership.org

No comments:

Post a Comment