Thursday, September 19, 2013

Need A Rest? | Sabbath Part 2


As a follow up to our last blog on Sabbath...

Unfortunately, sometimes rest on the Sabbath is taken as something that I do for me, myself and I. In the book, The Lost World of Genesis One, John Walton explains what honoring the sabbath day is:

“If we have to be reminded or coerced to observe it, it ceases to serve its function. Sabbath isn't the sort of thing that should have to be regulated by rules. It is the way that we acknowledge that God is on the throne, that this world is his world, that our time is his gift to us... Worship is a great idea, but it can't be mechanical, and it may only be the beginning. It is up to the individual to determine his or her personal response to give the honor that is due. The more gratitude we feel toward God and the more we desire to honor him...the more we will seek out ways to observe the sabbath.”
Sabbath is about worship, not for me to get something out of it, but for me to proclaim what God has done and what He is doing. It is about His goodness. Keeping the sabbath is a blessing because it allows me to stop amidst the chaos and refocus my eyes on who is in control. Working is important, but taking time to rest allows me to place my trust on God being the one in control. I may need that extra day of work, but if I rest I am placing my full reliance on God taking care of me so that I can give praise where praise is due.

If you find yourself overwhelmed this week don’t forget to rest. Rest in the assurance of God’s goodness and all that He has done and is doing. 

Why is it so hard to rest in today's culture? Comment below and continue the discussion...

This post was written by Colin Heasley. Colin leads an Axis Team around the country helping students and their communities move from apathy to compassionate action. You can follow the Axis Teams on Twitter: @axisteams

No comments:

Post a Comment