Wednesday, November 27, 2013

How to Become a Media Expert | Conclusion

Thanks for sticking with me so far. I ended Part 5 promising that this post would be the best. It is.

Some nights I stay up thinking about what I’ve seen or heard. Sometimes that’s a good thing. More often than not, it’s a bad thing. As I mentioned in Part 1, there are many things I wish I could un-see or un-hear. And let me just say again, certain parts of media research are not for everyone! I know we’re all adults and are much more discerning that most teenagers, but I can’t say this enough. I would not want my husband to see any of the scantily clad women I’ve seen in music videos and movie trailers. Of course, I can also be affected by these images because it can distort my vision of beauty and sexuality, but that’s nothing compared to what it could do to him. So remember, if you struggle in a certain area or your powers of “un-seeing” or “un-hearing” are a bit weak, please just don’t go there. Let your spouse or a friend who doesn’t struggle in the same areas help you.

The Bible doesn’t warn us to “stay unstained by the world” or command us to “take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ” for no reason. The images we see, the words we hear, and the thoughts we think are very powerful. Therefore, the most important part of becoming a media expert has nothing to do with media.

With the help of other wise adults and the Holy Spirit, you can know which movies and videos don’t need to be seen at all—by you or anyone else in your family. But for the times you do have to see or hear something that leaves a scar, there is a very powerful resource. Jesus Himself.

We all have scars, whether they’re from relationships or media or partying or elsewhere. And they all need to heal. Luckily, God is in the business of restoration (ok, luck has nothing to do with it). Only He can restore our souls, renew our minds, and allow us to live in freedom. So when we find ourselves scarred from the research we’ve done, even in the tiniest of ways, we need to look to Him.

I once heard it said that for every one look we take at ourselves and our depravity, we need to take ten looks at Jesus and His salvation, otherwise we will be bogged down by sadness, frustration, and despair. I believe it’s the same for us media researchers. We will become utterly weighed down by anger, hopelessness, and distress at where our culture is heading and what our children are facing. But let me remind you (and myself): GOD IS SO MUCH BIGGER! And He is in control. Whatever forces are at work in culture and media will not prevail against the Creator of the Universe!

That’s all so encouraging, Melanie, but how do we actually allow God to heal our scars? How do we move past the things we’ve seen and heard?

That’s easy: we spend more time getting to know the Most High than we spend doing anything else. We read about Him in the Bible, study Him by studying the Bible more deeply, talk to Him through prayer, and spend time with others who also want to know Him more. I know, it sounds cliché. But it works. Why? Because God is good and trustworthy and loving and slow to anger and [insert good qualities here]. The more we take the time to compare and contrast the beautiful, life-giving qualities of God with the alluring-but-life-stealing ideas preached by pop culture, the more we will come to appreciate who God is and what He’s done for us.

And as we do that, God miraculously steals away our pain, sorrows, worries, fears, and—you guessed it—scars. No matter where you or your kids are on the media journey, God can always heal you and give you life and joy. 

So to recap: Yes, I encourage you to get to know pop culture as a means of discipling and guiding your children to the Truth. But I also encourage you to get to know our God at least 10 times better than you know pop culture. Not only will that help you in discipling your children and in analyzing media, but it will also bring healing and growth. To the whole family. Isn’t God so beyond-comprehension good?!

So whenever you’re ready, get started!

Quiz Time! Are you already a pop-culture expert?

You may or may not have noticed song lyrics (and one movie reference) embedded throughout this six-part blog, some that are from recent hits and one that harkens back to my high-school days. If you noticed them, I applaud you for doing your homework. But did you find all of them? See if you can go back and find all of them, then comment below with the number you were able to locate. Hint: it’s not 7 or lower!

This series of blogs was written by Melanie, our Associate Director of Research.

No comments:

Post a Comment